Glenora Wine Cellars
How it all began...
As Seneca Lake’s very first winery and a staple of the region for over 40 years, our wines have won numerous awards. We’re constantly innovating and creating new products, under the direction of head winemaker Steve DiFrancesco, who has been with us for over two decades. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff guide you through our extensive selection of wines. We offer wine tastings and cellars tours all year long for individuals and groups alike. From high-quality sparkling wines, Rieslings, and a wide variety of red and white vinifera wines to innovative blends, dessert and fruit wines, there truly is a Glenora wine to please every palate. All of our wines are made right here on the premises. Make a reservation for a cellar tour to see “where the magic happens,” as we like to say. Whether you want to plan a romantic weekend away or are just passing through while visiting nearby Watkins Glen, we’re here to offer you a great Finger Lakes winery experience! Plan your tasting and cellar tour trip today, or shop our online store and have bottles shipped directly to you! To learn more, browse our website at www.Glenora.com or call us at 800-243-5513.
Glenora Wine Cellars is conveniently located in the beautiful Finger Lakes wine region on the southwest corner of Seneca Lake. Glenora is approximately 26 miles south of Geneva (Interstate 90) or eight miles north of Watkins Glen, on State Route 14.
- We encourage you to bring your group to come visit and taste with us! Groups of less than 14, including limos and buses, are welcome to walk in any time. If you are traveling with a group of 14-55 people, you will need to make an advance reservation with credit card deposit by calling us at 800-243-5513. Appointments are based on availability prior to 2pm.
- Cellar Tours:
- We offer cellar tours year round by appointment. Call 800.243.5513 to make a reservation.
- *We allow friendly. leashed dogs in our main tasting room. Please make other arrangements for your pet during the tour.
- East Overlook at Glenora:
- Located on our original 1978 tour overlook on the east side of our building, East Overlook at Glenora is a great place to enjoy wine by the glass overlooking Seneca Lake and our crush pad. Simply order a glass or bottle of your favorite Glenora wine from inside the Tasting Room and head outside for a bird's eye view of Seneca Lake. Peek inside the windows along the deck to see our original tank room and cellar space from 1977, the year we were established. Open daily during regular business hours, weather permitting.
- Meeting / Conference Facilities:
- Wedding Facilities:
- Picnic Facilities:
- Dog Friendly:
- Winery Tours:
- Wine Tasting:
- Art or Architecture:
- Organic / Biodynamic:
- Wine Club:
- Lodging / Bed & Breakfast:
Average Bottle Price
Steve is the Head Winemaker for Glenora Wine Cellars. Steve earned his degree in Biology from Stetson University and has since enjoyed 40 harvests in the Finger Lakes, plus one in Chile.
Steve started his winemaking career in the late 1970s, working with Guy DeVaux and Charles Fournier at Gold Seal Vineyards and their excellent sparkling wines. While at Gold Seal, Steve did critical research on secondary fermentations that was later applied to mainstream production. He experimented with the production of sparkling wines using unique grape varieties, as well.
Steve became the assistant winemaker at Glenora in the late 1980s as part of an ambitious expansion program with an emphasis on Sparkling Wines. In 1995, Steve was promoted to head winemaker. Riesling is at the forefront of production for Steve, along with other aromatic white vinifera wines, sparkling wines, and barrel aged red wines.
Steve is a very friendly and personable winemaker, and he enjoys talking 'shop' with visitors and other winemakers. Hopefully, you will get a chance to meet Steve in person!
Rachel Hadley joined Glenora Wine Cellars in August 2017 as Associate Winemaker at both Glenora and sister winery Knapp Winery, working in tangent with our winemaker Steve DiFrancesco at both wineries. Rachel previously worked as assistant winemaker at Keuka Springs Vineyard and her experiences in the industry include internships and vintages abroad at Framingham Wines of New Zealand and Jim Barry Wines in the Clare Valley of Australia working with aromatic whites, particularly Riesling.
At Glenora and Knapp, Rachel works with a wide variety of vineyard sites allowing her to showcase the both the big picture of wine stylistically in the Finger Lakes as well as focus in on interesting and different projects to show where the region may be heading in the future. She is able to draw from Steve's knowledge and experience, while bringing fresh eyes and ideas to the wineries.
In Rachel’s eyes, “Learning how others do things differently from yourself is essential to excelling in any field–and the best way to do that is to travel and work and speak directly with others. There’s no substitute for that knowledge.”