Advertisement

Wine Tasting in Michigan

Wine Tasting in Michigan

Wine production in the United States is very much on the rise, but many of the fastest growing regions are not places that the average wine drinker would associate with grape growing. Michigan is perhaps best known for its contributions to the auto industry in the US, but it is also home to a wine industry that has pretty much exploded over the course of the last decade. The land devoted to grape growing in Michigan has doubled in the past decade, with 15,000 acres now spread across the state. That is enough to make it the 4th largest wine producing state in the US, which also makes it a great destination spot for wine lovers.

All told, there are 117 wineries operating in the state, which means there are plenty of opportunities for wine tasting in Michigan. The best grapes in the region are generally grown within 25 miles Lake Michigan. Since that particular spot is one of the most visited in the state, you will never have a problem finding great places to stay. The tourist trade is big in that part of the state, meaning you will have plenty of options for sightseeing and fun activities other than just sampling the wines made in the region.

What you will find when you do a little bit of wine tasting in Michigan is that there are 3 specific types of grapes used in the production of the wines. The most prominent grapes are the vinifera varieties, with about 65% of the grapes being grown in the state of that type. These grapes make the wine varietals that are very much European inspired, while the hybrid and native grapes that make up the remaining 35% of the grapes are used to make wines that are helping Michigan wine producers create flavors that are unique to the state.

The growth of wine production in the state means that the wine related social calendar is usually pretty full all year round. There are a number of annual events to enjoy where all the wineries participate, and then you have special events being held at each of the individual wineries. The only day of the week where there is not that much going on is on Sundays, but that will give you some time to rest up and plan for the Michigan wine tasting events that will be delivered in the following week.

There are 5 different wine trails to choose from when visiting Michigan, with the majority of them running along the shores of Lake Michigan. This gives you plenty of options to choose from when looking for a place to stay. One of the biggest winery clusters can be found around Traverse City, making that one of the more popular places to stay when touring Michigan’s wine trails. While Michigan may not be the best known wine producing states in the country, it is one that is starting to gain a lot more recognition. Delicious wines and stunning scenery are what you can expect when you go Michigan wine tasting.

EXPLORE WINE TASTING IN MICHIGAN




Advertisement
Newsletter